Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Prompt 1- First Impressions

Driving to my school was an experience for me in itself. I had to drive through not the nicest of neighborhoods to get there, and the first time I went I got lost. Providence West High School* it tucked back off of the main road, behind a run-down, out of business, Stop-and-Shop. The high school itself is nice; a newer building with a nice façade. The inside is what you can expect out of any high school, clean hallways with posters advertising events, kids swarming the halls when the bell rings, and I definitely mean swarming. The school seems a little over crowded, or at least over crowded compared to my high school in rural New Jersey. Entering the classroom was a little strange for me. My teacher Mr. B.*, a nice man in about his 50’s stood at the head of the class in front of a table covered with papers; the students sat at tables made for 2 maybe 3 at most but they crowded 5 or 6 to a table, some with their back to the teacher. I found this very strange; hard to believe it’s possible to learn when you’re not even looking at the board.

The students themselves acted disorderly. They talked, disregarded Mr. B.’s instructions, and were down right disrespectful to him. The language casually thrown around the classroom was enough to get suspended from my high school. I’m sure this isn’t what the administrators of the school itself value, but its clear that the children value looks and status within the school more then grades. Kids who participate in class are made fun of, looked at like they’re crazy, especially if they get the question right; the ones who are disrespectful, loud, talkative, and use vulgar language are looked up to by the others, they are the “cool” kids.

On the other hand I know what Mr. B. values. He values teaching these children to read well, and actively. Teaching them to write coherently and descriptively, and most of all, even though they are only freshman, Mr. B. values helping these children know that college is an option for them, and he will do everything he can to make sure it becomes a reality.
*names have been changed

No comments:

Post a Comment